WARNER BROS. ENTERTAINMENT PRESENTS “EXTRA AT COMIC-CON®”
Free Outdoor Entertainment Festival During Comic-Con
Brings Batmobiles, the Extra Stage and More to Fans
For the first time ever, Warner Bros. Entertainment will present Extra at Comic-Con®, a free outdoor entertainment festival happening in San Diego’s Bayfront Park July 12–14 during Comic-Con International: San Diego. Bayfront Park is located between the San Diego Convention Center and the Hilton San Diego Bayfront hotel.
- Located just steps from the Convention Center, Extra at Comic-Con will be a live, multi-day entertainment experience capturing all the excitement of the Studio’s fan-facing properties: From The Lord of the Rings to the DC Universe, they’re all here!
“Everyone at Warner Bros. Television approaches Comic-Con as a fan-first experience. It’s in our DNA, with everything we do — from panels to signings to our bags, posters and more — carefully curated with our fans in mind,” said Lisa Gregorian, Chief Marketing Officer, Warner Bros. Television Group. “With the Extra at Comic-Con space, we have created a free and fun outdoor entertainment destination for fans. In addition to having all the Batmobiles on display and game demos, we will be hosting interviews throughout the day on the Extra stage, as well as evening and night events such as screenings and live comedy and musical performances after the convention floor closes for the day. It’s additive to the experience of being at the Con.”
Extra at Comic-Con attractions include:
THE EXTRA STAGE
The centerpiece of this 60,000-square-foot outdoor entertainment event is the Extra stage. Featuring Q&As, live performances, screenings and talent interviews presented by the long-running hit TV entertainment magazine Extra, the stage will be a constant — and free — place for fans to go beyond the Con.
- Stars from The Big Bang Theory, Fringe, The Vampire Diaries and more will appear live on the Extra stage to tape interviews with Extra’s on-camera hosts
- Warner Bros. will also distribute the studio’s Comic-Con special edition of TV Guide Magazine — with four sets of collectible flip covers featuring the casts of The Big Bang Theory, Fringe, Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries — at the Extra stage
- A full live event schedule will be posted at the Extra stage and online at www.thewb.com/comiccon
ALL SIX BATMOBILES!
On display in “The Batcave”: all six Batmobiles from television and film! For the first time ever, Comic-Con fans will have the opportunity to see all of Batman’s iconic onscreen vehicles live and in person, from Adam West’s 1955 Lincoln Futura to the Tumbler from The Dark Knight trilogy.
- Adam West’s 1955 Lincoln Futura. Designed by George Barris, this original Batmobile was featured in the cult classic television series and 1966’s Batman, the Movie.
- Michael Keaton’s Batmobile from 1989’s Batman and 1992’s Batman Returns. Sleek and powerful with a central turbine, the vehicles’ slightly retro design followed Tim Burton’s art deco look of the films.
- Revamped for Joel Schumacher’s 1995 Batman Forever, with bat-lighting and extended fins, Val Kilmer’s hot rod had the ability to drive up walls.
- Schumacher updated the Batmobile once again for George Clooney in 1997’s Batman & Robin. At 33 feet long and a top speed of 350 mph with afterburner thrust, this was the largest and fastest Batmobile on the road.
- The Tumbler designed for Christopher Nolan’s 2005 Batman Begins and 2008’s The Dark Knight is the prototype military vehicle designed by the character Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman).
- The unveiling of the replacement Camouflage Tumbler, to be seen in 2012’s The Dark Knight Rises, in theaters and IMAX July 20.
THE LORD OF THE RINGS VIDEO GAME SHOWCASE
With anticipation mounting for Warner Bros. Pictures’ December 14, 2012, release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey motion picture, directed by Peter Jackson and a production of New Line Cinema and MGM, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment is showcasing two upcoming games set in Middle-earth.
- Fans can play hands-on with new video game Guardians of Middle-earth as characters including Gandalf, Sauron, Gollum, Thrain, Galadriel, Legolas and many more. This new multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game allows up to 10 players to engage in competitive matches. The game includes tie-ins with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey film. Tournaments will take place each evening, with prizes including custom-painted video game console systems and high-end gaming audio gear.
- LEGO® The Lord of the Rings: 3D Street Art. From the creative minds at Planet Streetpainting comes a one-of-a-kind, LEGO The Lord of the Rings–inspired 3D street art design that will be created and on display for fans of all ages over the course of three days, July 13–15. Stop by each day and watch the artwork unfold!
via Warner Bros. Press Release
First Time Ever in Hall H!
First Time Ever on Sunday!
Final Panel at Comic-Con
Calling all Fringe fans — from Westfield to Alt-San Diego! The acclaimed thriller’s stars and executive producers will return one final time to Comic-Con International: San Diego®, the world’s greatest pop culture convention, to celebrate the show’s fifth and final season with its incredibly devoted fans. For the first time ever, the show’s panel will be held on a Sunday — July 15 — and it will take place in Hall H of the San Diego Convention Center.
- Series stars Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson, Lance Reddick, Blair Brown, Jasika Nicole and John Noble will join the show’s executive producers for the panel
- In their final appearance at Comic-Con, the Fringe team will treat fans to an exclusive video presentation, answer burning questions and look at what lies ahead for the climactic conclusion of the acclaimed sci-fi series
- Recently renewed for its fifth and final season, Fringe continues to explore new cases with endless impossibilities. From Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, Fringe airs Fridays at 9/8c on FOX.
- For continuing info on the Studio’s plans at Comic-Con, please follow us on Twitter @TheWBdotcom, hashtag #WBSDCC, and visit TheWB.com/comiccon for more information.
via Warner Bros. Press Release
Warner Bros. has released their schedule for Comic-Con 2012 and Twitter will be full of chatter for the next few hours! Lots of favorites will be making an appearance this year. Who else can NOT wait for FRINGE in Hall H on Sunday?! Here’s the press release.
WARNER BROS. TELEVISION GROUP BRINGS
DEMON HUNTERS, VAMPIRES, HEROES AND MORE
TO COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL: SAN DIEGO 2012
Stars and Producers of The Big Bang Theory, Fringe, Nikita, Person of Interest, Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries, 666 Park Avenue, Arrow, Cult,
The Following, Revolution, Childrens Hospital, DC Nation and MAD to Appear
The world’s leading pop culture convention is set to begin in just over a month, and Warner Bros. Television Group (WBTVG) will be back with a Bang at Comic-Con International: San Diego in 2012. With a star-studded lineup of performers and producers from Warner Bros. Television and Warner Bros. Animation series and the Studio’s massive, must-visit booth on the convention floor, WBTVG will once again deliver an unforgettable experience for fans, with a packed schedule of screenings, panel sessions, autograph signings and media appearances.
- For the first time ever, The Big Bang Theory and Fringe panels will take place in Hall H!
- Note to fans: For the first time, the Fringe panel will be held on Sunday at Comic-Con 2012
- Hotly anticipated new series like Arrow, Revolution, 666 Park Avenue, Cult and The Following will all host panels, signings and screenings
- And more surprises to come…
- For continuing info on the Studio’s plans at Comic-Con, please follow us on Twitter @TheWBdotcom, hashtag #WBSDCC, and visit www.thewb.com/comiccon
SPECIAL SNEAK PEEK PILOT SCREENINGS
WEDNESDAY, JULY 11 • BALLROOM 20
For the fifth straight year, WBTVG gets Comic-Con off to a dramatic start by hosting a special sneak peek, world premiere screening event on Preview Night.
This year, the Studio is offering fans the opportunity to see five of the most anticipated new drama series of the year, for the first time ever in public.
- 666 Park Avenue (Sundays 10/9c ABC): Lost’s Terry O’Quinn and Desperate Housewives’ Vanessa Williams headline this seductive drama from Alloy Entertainment as the owners of a Manhattan apartment building who recruit an idealistic young couple to manage the historic site where anything you desire can be yours … for a price.
- Arrow (Wednesdays 8/7c The CW): From Greg Berlanti (Green Lantern), Marc Guggenheim (Green Lantern), Andrew Kreisberg (Warehouse 13, Fringe) and David Nutter (Smallville, Supernatural, Game of Thrones), this hard-hitting action series reinvents the DC hero. After being marooned for five years on a remote island, billionaire Oliver Queen returns home with a mysterious agenda and very lethal new set of skills that he uses in a war on crime.
- Cult (Midseason The CW): In this visceral thriller from the creator of Farscape and the producers of Chuck, a bright and driven reporter teams up with an inquisitive television researcher to investigate a series of disturbing disappearances all tied to a wildly popular new television show called … Cult.
- The Following (Midseason Mondays FOX): Golden Globe winner/Emmy® nominee Kevin Bacon and Rome’s James Purefoy star in this cat-and-mouse thriller from Kevin Williamson (The Vampire Diaries) about a diabolical serial killer (Purefoy) and the psychologically scarred ex-FBI agent (Bacon) called in to stop him and the cult of serial killers he has created.
- Revolution (Mondays 10/9c NBC): In this epic adventure thriller from Supernatural’s Eric Kripke, J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions and Iron Man’s Jon Favreau, a family struggles to reunite in a post-apocalyptic landscape of empty cities, local militias and heroic freedom fighters where every single piece of technology — phones, computers, cars, even lights — has mysteriously blacked out … forever.
TV SERIES SCHEDULE
PLEASE NOTE: Series stars and creative teams scheduled to attend are subject to change. Additional information on panel sessions, signings and other events will be provided as news breaks. Panel times will be announced in the coming weeks.
THURSDAY, JULY 12
- MAD (Mondays 8:45/7:45c Cartoon Network): Get a glimpse behind the MADness with MAD television show producers Kevin Shinick and Mark Marek. Room 6DE
- Nikita (Fridays 9/8c The CW): Series stars Maggie Q, Shane West and Lyndsy Fonseca join executive producer Craig Silverstein. Room 6BCF6BCF
FRIDAY, JULY 13
- The Big Bang Theory (Thursdays 8/7c CBS): The Big Bang Theory gets even bigger —for the first time ever in Hall H! Series stars and executive producers will be on hand to answer burning questions (liftoff! handholding! was that really Mrs. Wolowitz?) and tease what’s to come in season six. Hall H
- Cult: Things get scary on Friday the 13th with stars Matt Davis, Jessica Lucas, Alona Tal and Robert Knepper joining executive producer Rockne S. O’Bannon. Room 6BCF
- 666 Park Avenue: Familiarize yourself with the luxurious, yet mysterious, New York City high-rise known as The Drake with series stars Terry O’Quinn, Rachael Taylor and Dave Annable joining executive producers David Wilcox (Fringe) and Matthew Miller (Chuck). Room 6BCF
- Arrow: Chills turn to thrills in this session when Arrow cast members, including Stephen Amell, join producers for a special pilot screening and discussion. Ballroom 20
- Childrens Hospital (returning in August, Adult Swim): Star/executive producer Rob Corddry and executive producer Jonathan Stern join stars Lake Bell, Erinn Hayes, Rob Huebel, Megan Mullally, Henry Winkler and Ken Marino. Hilton San Diego Bayfront, Indigo Ballroom
SATURDAY, JULY 14
- The Vampire Diaries (Thursdays 8/7c The CW): Seductive stars Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder and more join executive producers/writers Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec. Ballroom 20
- The Following: Series stars Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy join executive producers Kevin Williamson and Marcos Siega. Room 6BCF
- Person of Interest (Thursdays 9/8c CBS): The stars and creators of this smash hit drama series discuss season one and give a sneak preview at what’s to come. Room 6BCF
- Revolution: Series stars Billy Burke, Giancarlo Esposito and Tracy Spiridakos join creator/executive producer Eric Kripke and director/co-executive producer Jon Favreau. Room 6BCF
SUNDAY, JULY 15
- Supernatural (Wednesdays 9/8c The CW): Returning to Hall H are series stars Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles, joined by recurring guest stars Misha Collins, Jim Beaver and Mark A. Sheppard, as well as new executive producer Jeremy Carver and consulting producer Ben Edlund. Hall H
- Fringe (Fridays 9/8c FOX): Celebrating its upcoming fifth and final season, Fringe has its first-ever Sunday panel at Comic-Con … in Hall H for the first time. Series stars Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson, Lance Reddick, Blair Brown, Jasika Nicole and John Noble join the show’s executive producers for the panel. Hall H
- DC Nation (Saturdays 10:00–11:00 a.m. ET/PT Cartoon Network): Come get an exclusive sneak peek at what’s in store for this action-comedy packed programming block. Producers to be announced. Room 6BCF
FRINGE has been given the go-ahead for season 5! This is the tweet by Joel Wyman letting us know we have 13 more episodes of FRINGE! The press release follows the tweet and don’t forget to watch the teaser below!
“FRINGE is a remarkably creative series that has set the bar as one of television’s most imaginative dramas. Bringing it back for a final 13 allows us to provide the climactic conclusion that its passionate and loyal fans deserve,” said Reilly “The amazing work the producers, writers and the incredibly talented cast and crew have delivered the last four seasons has literally been out of this world. Although the end is bittersweet, it’s going to be a very exciting final chapter.”
FRINGE co-creator and executive producer J.J. Abrams added, “We are thrilled and beyond grateful that FOX – and our fans – have made the impossible possible: FRINGE will continue into a fifth season that will allow the series to conclude in a wild and thrilling way. All of us at Bad Robot are forever indebted to our viewers and the amazingly supportive FOX network for allowing the adventures of Fringe Division to not only continue, but to resolve in a way that perfectly fits the show.”
“This pickup means the world (both of them) to us, because we love sharing these stories with our enthusiastic fans,” added FRINGE showrunners and executive producers Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman. “On behalf of the cast and crew, we applaud our fans and FOX for allowing us to imagine the impossibilities together for so long. Season Five is going to be a conclusive thrill ride for all of us.”
FRINGE’s compelling fourth season concludes with three all-new FRINGE Friday episodes in a row, counting down to the two-part season finale on Friday, May 4 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) and Friday, May 11 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). In “Worlds Apart,” airing Friday, April 27 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), team members on both sides, including Olivia (Anna Torv) and Peter (Joshua Jackson), continue to fight for a common cause, and there are shocking developments tied to the Cortexiphan children.
Created by J.J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, FRINGE is produced by Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. Abrams, Bryan Burk, Jeff Pinkner, J.H. Wyman and Joe Chappelle serve as executive producers, while Kurtzman, Orci and Akiva Goldsman are consulting producers. Additionally, Pinkner and Wyman serve as the series’ showrunners. “Like” FRINGE on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fringe. Follow the series on Twitter @fringeonfox and join the conversation at #Fringe.
Warner Bros. Television (WBTV) breaks free and travels to the other side – aka the O.C. – for another exciting weekend at WonderCon 2012, starting with an exclusive advance screening of a never-before-seen episode of The Secret Circle (Thursdays 9/8c The CW) and an explosive episode of Person of Interest (Thursdays 9/8c CBS) on the big screen on Friday, March 16. Then fans can supercharge their Saturday with a special video presentation and panel session for DC Nation – the new one-hour programming block from Cartoon Network, Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment – on March 17. And on Sunday, March 18, sample the best of Bad Robot Productions with mind-bending panel sessions for Alcatraz (Mondays 9/8c FOX, moving to 8/7c on March 5) and Fringe (Fridays 9/8c FOX).
Stars and producers scheduled to attend WonderCon 2012 include:
- Alcatraz stars Sarah Jones, Jorge Garcia, Jonny Coyne and Parminder Nagra, along with executive producers Jennifer Johnson, Daniel Pyne, Jack Bender and co-creators/co-executive producers Bryan Wynbrandt and Steven Lilien
- Fringe stars John Noble, Seth Gabel and executive producers J.H. Wyman and Jeff Pinkner. Additional cast members to be announced.
- DC Nation: Young Justice producers Brandon Vietti and Greg Weisman; Green Lantern: The Animated Series producers Jim Krieg and Giancarlo Volpe; and DC animated shorts producers Lauren Faust and Ben Jones
- Alcatraz, Fringe and DC Nation casts and producers will all be signing at the DC Entertainment booth, #501
In addition, WBTV will present not one, but two special screenings exclusively for WonderCon audiences, offering fans a sneak peak – on the big screen – of The Secret Circle‘s “Curse” episode six days before its broadcast on Thursday, March 22 (9/8c on The CW), as well as an episode of the hit action-drama Person of Interest.
For continuing information about the Studio’s plans at WonderCon, please follow us on Twitter at @thewbdotcom.
Following are the WBTV and DC Nation panel dates, as well as signing dates and times for WonderCon 2012. Official panel times to be announced by WonderCon.
FRIDAY, MARCH 16
Exclusive Warner Bros. Television Screenings – For the third straight year, Warner Bros. Television kicks off WonderCon with special screenings of fan-favorite series. For 2012, WBTV will present on the big screen episodes of the first-year hit dramas The Secret Circle, from executive producer Kevin Williamson (The Vampire Diaries), and Person of Interest, from creator Jonathan Nolan (The Dark Knight) and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions (Fringe, Lost). Ballroom
- The Secret Circle: The ordinary becomes the extraordinary in The Secret Circle, a drama full of mystery, intrigue and danger from executive producer Kevin Williamson (The Vampire Diaries) and based upon the book series by L.J. Smith (The Vampire Diaries). The series chronicles the story of a young girl who discovers not only that she is a witch and part of a secret coven, but that she is the key which will unlock a centuries-old battle of good versus evil. WBTV has conjured up a WonderCon exclusive premiere screening of the “Curse” episode, a full six days in advance of its on-air debut Thursday, March 22, at 9/8c on The CW. Britt Robertson (Scream 4), Thomas Dekker (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), Gale Harold (Queer as Folk), Phoebe Tonkin (H20: Just Add Water), Shelley Hennig (Days of our Lives), Jessica Parker Kennedy (50/50), Chris Zylka (upcoming The Amazing Spider-Man) and Natasha Henstridge (Species) star in the series, which is executive produced by Williamson, Andrew Miller (Nothing), Andrea Newman (Human Target), Leslie Morgenstein (The Vampire Diaries) and Gina Girolamo (The Lying Game). From Bonanza Productions Inc., Outerbanks Entertainment and Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, The Secret Circle airs Thursdays at 9/8c on The CW. Become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesecretcircle and follow The CW on Twitter @CW_network.
- Person of Interest: Jim Caviezel (The Thin Red Line), Comic-Con favorite Michael Emerson (Lost) and Taraji P. Henson (Hustle & Flow) team up in this thought-provoking crime action-drama from The Dark Knight’s Jonathan Nolan and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions (Fringe, Lost, Alias). Set in New York City, with all of its multifaceted elements of justice (cops, criminals, corruption), Person of Interest centers on an ex-CIA agent, presumed dead, who partners with a mysterious billionaire to prevent violent crimes, and the detectives tracking them. Person of Interest makes its WonderCon debut with a screening of a complete episode on the big screen. In addition to Caviezel, Emerson and Henson, Kevin Chapman (Rescue Me) also stars in Person of Interest, which airs Thursdays at 9/8c on CBS. Jonathan Nolan, J.J. Abrams (Star Trek), Greg Plageman (Cold Case) and Bryan Burk (Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol) are the executive producers of the series, from Bonanza Productions in association with Bad Robot Productions and Warner Bros. Television. Become a fan of the show on Facebook at www.facebook.com/PersonOfInterestCBS and follow the show on Twitter @PersonInterest.
SATURDAY, MARCH 17
- 4:00 p.m. · DC Nation Signing: DC Entertainment Booth #501
- DC Nation Special Video Presentation and Q&A – From the pages of DC Comics to the television screens of fans across the country comes DC Nation, a new one-hour exclusive kids programming block from Cartoon Network, Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment. DC Nation stars some of the most beloved and legendary heroes of the DC Universe, brought to life by some of the most talented directors, writers and producers working in animation today. Anchored by Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Young Justice, DC Nation airs Saturdays from 10:00-11:00 a.m. ET/PT on Cartoon Network. Fans attending the WonderCon 2012 DC Nation panel will be treated to exclusive video content filled with plenty of sneak peeks from the DC Nation block. In addition, an all-star panel featuring Young Justice producers Brandon Vietti (Batman Under the Red Hood) and Greg Weisman (Gargoyles), Green Lantern: The Animated Series producers Jim Krieg (Ben 10: Alien Swarm) and Giancarlo Volpe (Star Wars: The Clone Wars), and DC animated shorts producers Lauren Faust (The Powerpuff Girls, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic) and Ben Jones (Batman: The Brave and The Bold) will take the stage for a moderated Q&A. Learn more about DC Nation at www.dcnation.com and follow the show on Twitter @DC_Nation. Room 204ABC
SUNDAY, MARCH 18
- 12:00 Noon · Fringe Signing: DC Entertainment Booth #501
- 1:30 p.m. · Alcatraz Signing: DC Entertainment Booth #501
- Alcatraz Special Video Presentation and Q&A – Don’t miss this classified session with stars Sarah Jones (Sons of Anarchy), Jorge Garcia (Lost), Jonny Coyne (Lara Craft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life) and Parminder Nagra (ER); executive producers Jennifer Johnson (Lost), Daniel Pyne (Lost) and Jack Bender (Lost); and co-creators/co-executive producers Bryan Wynbrandt and Steven Lilien (both Kyle XY) dishing the ultimate insider information about the mysterious 1963 disappearance of the Alcatraz inmates, guards and staff. Fans will learn about where they’ve been and why they are returning, and the creative team will reveal exclusive information about the remaining episodes of the first season. From Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Bad Robot Productions and Warner Bros. Television, Alcatraz currently airs Mondays at 9/8c on FOX, and moves to 8/7c on March 5. Become a fan of Alcatraz on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AlcatrazonFOX and follow the show on Twitter @AlcatrazonFOX.
- Fringe Special Video Presentation and Q&A – Join series stars John Noble (The Lord of the Rings), Seth Gabel (The Da Vinci Code) and executive producers Jeff Pinkner (Lost) and J.H. Wyman (The Mexican) of the mind-bending, universe-crossing series Fringe for a Q & A session and get a sneak peek of what is to come, as the fates of all your favorite characters hang in the balance between two universes, two timelines and too many creepy bad guys to go around. Talk doppelgangers, shapeshifters, Observers and whatever Walter is cooking up! Now in its fourth season, Fringe continues to explore new cases with endless impossibilities. From Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, Fringe airs Fridays at 9/8c on FOX. Become a fan of Fringe on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Fringe and follow the show on Twitter @FRINGEonFOX. Ballroom
In an effort to find a way home, Peter journeys to the Other Side to confront Walternate. His venture proves more dangerous than expected. Meanwhile, Olivia receives a dire premonition from an Observer in the all-new “Back to Where You’ve Never Been” Winter Premiere episode of FRINGE airing Friday, Jan. 13 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.
This August, SCIENCE examines what happens when scientific research goes too far, with the world premiere of DARK MATTERS: TWISTED BUT TRUE. The six-part series takes viewers inside the laboratory to profile strange science and expose some of history’s most bizarre experiments. Hosted by noted science fiction actor John Noble (Fringe, Lord of the Rings), DARK MATTERS: TWISTED BUT TRUE delves into the most unusual research ever conducted, including attempts to crossbreed humans and apes, actual zombie investigations and head transplantation studies. Cutting-edge CGI recreations enable viewers to witness the pivotal moments when brilliant minds face controversy or ethical crossroads on the fringes of science. DARK MATTERS: TWISTED BUT TRUE premieres Wednesday, August 31, at 10:00 PM (ET/PT).
“The stories we share in DARK MATTERS: TWISTED BUT TRUE are as outlandish as a great sci-fi script or as disturbing as a classic horror tale – the only difference is that they’re all true,” said Noble. “The series offers a glimpse into the dark side of science, as well as human nature.”
“DARK MATTERS: TWISTED BUT TRUE offers a fascinating insight into moments of scientific history where individuals went to extreme measures to achieve a breakthrough. It’s impossible to turn away from these true stories that you always assumed were just outlandish urban legends,” said Debbie Adler Myers, general manager and executive vice president of SCIENCE. “This is real science – just the dark side of it, featuring brilliant minds who eventually took a dramatic turn. John Noble is the perfect tour guide to escort viewers through this bizarre world of research gone horribly wrong, but that in some cases, actually led to technology and science that we use today.”
The series premiere features the shocking story of Soviet scientist Dr. Ilya Ivanov, who in the 1920s attempted to start his own “planet of the apes.” In an attempt to build an invincible army, Ivanov tried to crossbreed humans with apes to create a race of supersoldiers. Viewers also will be introduced to Morris Jessup, a self-identified UFO expert who attempted to expose what he believed to be a military cover-up involving experiments with invisibility. Finally, unorthodox studies by America’s greatest inventor, Thomas Edison, result in a dark and unintended invention which remains infamous today.
DARK MATTERS: TWISTED BUT TRUE is produced for SCIENCE by Wide-Eyed Entertainment. Dan Gold and Jasper James are executive producers for Wide-Eyed Entertainment. Rocky Collins is executive producer and Bernadette McDaid is vice president of production for SCIENCE.
Full series episode descriptions are below:
EPISODE 1: The Philadelphia Experiment, Ape-Man Army, Zapped to Death
Premieres Wednesday August 31, at 10:00 PM (ET/PT)
UFO expert Morris Jessup tested invisibility and teleportation after receiving an extraordinary letter stating that the U.S. Navy had experimented with this very concept before. Would his investigation be the end of his career? In the 1920s, Soviet scientist Dr. Ilya Ivanov began performing disturbing experiments to crossbreed humans with apes. Could he create intelligent apes, or would his experiments result in horror? In the early 20th century, a race was under way to increase America’s flow of electricity. To that end, Thomas Edison conducted a number of unorthodox studies to meet this growing demand. To his surprise and regret, however, these experiments would eventually lead to a dark creation that remains infamous today.
EPISODE 2: Unidentified Flying Nazis, I Have Einstein’s Brain, Killer Thoughts
Premieres Wednesday, September 7, at 10:00 PM (ET/PT)
A fireball streaks through the skies of Pennsylvania in 1965. Could it be a UFO, or had the U.S. gotten hold of an outlandish piece of Nazi antigravity technology? After Einstein’s death in 1955, Dr. Thomas Harvey, the man in charge of the autopsy, stole his brain. Does Einstein’s brain hold the key to where genius lies within its physical structure? During the Cold War, with the world on the brink of nuclear destruction, Russian and American scientists engage in a top-secret psychic arms race.
EPISODE 3: Sexy Secret Agent, Full Body Transplant, Honey I Nuked the Planet
Premieres Wednesday, September 14, at 10:00 PM (ET/PT)
When a talk show host married a former model, he had no idea that she would reveal she was a brainwashed CIA secret agent. Was she the subject of government mind control experiments, or is her troubled childhood to blame? When Dr. Robert White transplanted the head of a monkey onto the body of another, had he discovered a way to preserve humanity’s brightest minds? Or was he exercising unnecessary animal cruelty? In 1962 the United States exploded a 1.4 megaton H-bomb in space. Was this detonation a necessary action taken during the Cold War, or one of mankind’s greatest mistakes that could lead to Armageddon?
EPISODE 4: It’s Alive!, Tripping with Uncle Sam, My Hand Is Killing Me
Premieres Wednesday September 21, at 10:00 PM (ET/PT)
At the beginning of the 19th century, an Italian scientist believes he has found a way to bring the dead back to life. Could electricity be the God-given vital force of life? In the late 90s, journalist Hank Albarelli believes he has found a connection between a French town gone insane and the apparent suicide of an American scientist. Is madness contagious, or has Albarelli found himself in the middle of a government conspiracy? In 1908, a German woman is attacked by the hand of the one who knows her best: her own. Are we alone in our minds, or is there another, darker entity hidden deep within?
EPISODE 5: 21 Grams, Missing Cosmonauts, Sound of Death
Premieres Wednesday, September 28, at 10:00 PM (ET/PT)
When French scientist Vladimir Gavreau finds his laboratory flooded with a mysterious energy, his research takes a menacing new direction. Had Gavreau invented a new weapon of mass destruction? At the dawn of the age of space exploration, two radio buffs stumbled across a heart-stopping sound. Were the Soviets covering up a space mission gone terribly wrong? Boston medic Dr. Duncan MacDougall sets out to scientifically prove the existence of the human soul by weighing a man at the moment of death.
EPISODE 6: Radio Waves of Death, How to Make a Zombie, Jekyll vs. Hyde
Premieres Wednesday, October 5, at 10:00 PM (ET/PT)
Death by deadly ray sounds like a scene from a science fiction movie. However, the legendary Nikola Tesla claims to have created one in the early 20th century. Some say an 800-mile area in Siberia was devastated during his radio-wave experiments, leaving very few survivors. Could this be true? Scientist Wade Davis was obsessed with cracking the zombie secrets. After tracking down a man with his own death certificate, he believed he had uncovered the science to zombie legend. After Dr. Horace Wells fails to invent anesthesia using laughing gas, he experiments with a new drug: chloroform. Wells’ experiments would lead to horrific, devastating mistakes.
SCIENCE, a division of Discovery Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK), is home for the thought provocateur, the individual who is unafraid to ask the killer questions of “how” and “why not.” The network is a playground for those with audacious intellects and features programming willing to go beyond imagination to explore the unknown. Guided by curiosity, SCIENCE looks for innovation in mysterious new worlds as well as in its own backyard. SCIENCE and the SCIENCE HD simulcast reach more than 68 million U.S. households. The network also features high-traffic online and social media destinations, including ScienceChannel.com, facebook.com/Science Channel and twitter.com/Science Channel.
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world’s #1 nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in 210 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity through 130-plus worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science and Investigation Discovery, as well as US joint venture networks OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, The Hub and 3net, the first 24-hour 3D network. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools and owns and operates a diversified portfolio of digital media services, including HowStuffWorks.com. For more information, please visit http://www.discoverycommunications.com.
via Science Channel Press Release
Four Collectible TV Guide Magazine Covers Feature Hit Series
“The Big Bang Theory,” “Chuck,” “Fringe” and “The Vampire Diaries”
Excitement is building for Comic-Con 2011, and fans of the hit television series “The Big Bang Theory,” “Chuck,” “Fringe” and “The Vampire Diaries” will have a one-of-a-kind collectible item to bring home from this year’s Con, thanks to Warner Bros. Television (WBTV) and TV Guide Magazine. The magazine and WBTV are again teaming up to create a TV Guide Magazine Comic-Con special issue devoted solely to programming from WBTV and the Studio, and the four fan-favorite series listed above will appear on four different collectible covers.
- All four collectible covers will be distributed at the Warner Bros. booth, #4545, on the convention floor throughout Comic-Con, beginning on preview night, Wednesday, July 20, and continuing through Sunday, July 24.
- For those not able to attend Comic-Con in person: Fear not! All four collectible covers will be on sale from July 21–28 at newsstand checkout wherever TV Guide Magazine is sold and will also be available at additional newsstands thereafter. The special issue can also be ordered online beginning July 12 at www.tvguidemagazine.com/comiccon.
In addition to the sections on the four cover shows, the 88-page issue is packed with features and photos dedicated to the following programs:
- An appreciation of WBTV’s “Smallville,” which recently concluded its 10th season
- Warner Bros. Animation’s current hit series “Batman: The Brave and the Bold,” “The Looney Tunes Show,” “MAD,” “Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated” and “Young Justice,” as well as the upcoming “Green Lantern: The Animated Series” and “ThunderCats”
- The upcoming WBA/Warner Home Video/Warner Premiere release of “Batman: Year One” on Blu-ray™ and DVD
And that’s not all, folks! Don’t miss the following:
- An exclusive look at three superhero costume re-designs by bestselling artist and DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee, for DC Comics The New 52, the upcoming historic renumbering of the entire DC line of comic books with 52 first issues.
- A classic MAD magazine “Spy vs. Spy” from writer/artist Peter Kuper, celebrating 50 years of the popular feature created by Antonio Prohias.
- A flaming hot — and currently top secret — foldout poster
- TV Guide Magazine cover gallery of WBTV series, a behind-the-scenes look at the Warner Bros. booth throughout the years, and the hottest photos from TV Guide Magazine’s Comic-Con photo booth
- The return of the ultimate superfan quiz and crossword puzzle
- And more…